Jr. is on the Case


I must admit that I am awaiting the new Sherlock Holmes movie with fear and trembling. My apprehensive fear is caused by Guy Ritchie and my hopeful trembling is caused by Robert Downey Jr. I will begin with Guy Ritchie, who has stated that he is trying to give this film as modern look as possible while maintaining a Victorian feel. His hope is that the audience will find a more contemporary Sherlock Holmes in this film. I worry that there may be too much bang for it's buck. Mysteries are about the subtle unfolding of a story, not smashing and crashing. Give the people what they want, I suppose! This being said, when Robert Downey Jr. is added to the mix anything can happen.
I have not been a Robert Downey Jr. fan until recently, and have found myself wandering through his past films with enjoyable results. When it comes to a Robert Downey Jr. film I can never determine if I liked the film or not, but always enjoy him. This was definitely the case with his film Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang; if it hadn't have been for Jr's humor, I probably would hated the film. Again, with Ironman, the plot was fairly formulaic, but Jr. kinda stole the show. I find it rather ironic that an american icon will be playing a British icon. Jr. has the potential to turn Sherlock Holmes into a sex symbol; strange yes, but not surprising in a Guy Ritchie film.
I love a good Sherlock Holmes story, and the Robert Downey Jr. of late has wooed me, but the more I learn about the film the more I fear for it (especially the fact that Rachel McAdams will be playing alongside Jr). Don't get me wrong, I think this movie is going to be a huge blockbuster hit, and I'm sure Robert Downey Jr. will twist and turn every cliche we think we know about Sherlock. I'm looking forward to this case!

What do you think?

Sherlock Holmes currently has no rating on RT.

0 comments: