An Education



As I write this, I am listening to An Education soundtrack. Beth Rowley is lulling me with You’ve Got Me Wrapped Around Your Little Finger. The first thing that I must say about this film is that the soundtrack is incredible. Through this soundtrack I was introduced to two fabulous female artists: Beth Rowley and Melody Gardot. (Beth Rowley can be seen crooning in one of the scenes, wearing a striking black number, you can’t miss her!) It is very appropriate for music to have a prominent role in this film, and fitting that two such strong female artist should lead the way. Nick Hornby’s films (High Fidelity and About a Boy) always have a strong tie to music.
I won’t deny that I have been anticipating this film for quite some time. I was intrigued from the beginning. My filmic huger was feed, as I learned this movie contained all my favorite things: the early 60’s, music, fashion, and French culture. What can I say, for me, it was an easy sell from the beginning. Therefore I’m sorry if my opinion is bias.
The title describes it all; this movie purposes the question: what is the true definition of an education? The story focuses around a high school student, Jenny, played by newcomer Carey Mulligan. An Education boasts a talented cast. I believe this is a breakthrough role for Mulligan. Physically, she epitomizes the delicate, fledgling female becoming a woman, struggling with the place between girlhood and womanhood. Mulligan carries her confidence with her graceful humor. I found myself being swept up in her world of awe for the unattainable. Peter Sarsgaard (Garden State) is perfect. I know that sounds terrible, but he was just perfect. He physically embodied the character and conveyed emotionally charisma, all with the perfect amount of innocence and seduction. Alfred Molina, who I always love, did not fail to deliver his dry jumbled humor, achieve by perfect timing. Surprisingly one of my favorite characters was played by Rosamund Pike (what a great name!) (Jane, Pride and Prejudice), who could say all that needed to be said with a simple eyebrow raise or blink. I loved that Emma Thompson dropped in for a small but powerful performance as the school’s head mistress, she was so well cast. Of course, who else could play that role, clearly Emma Thompson. I'm excited to see how this film fares at the Oscars.
At the heart of this story is a struggle, deciding what is more important, an education offered by school or life. I believe that this struggle transcends gender, but in this case the writer choose to focus on the feminine side of this question, as under the lens of the early 60’s. Many tough choices are analyzed as the film unfolds, in fact as the movie progresses just about everyone has some kind of regret. I found that I was totally enthralled by the questions that were being posed. Although my own life is not nearly so dramatic as Jenny’s (ha), I find myself wrestling with many of the same questions, and being seduced by a life of easy come, easy go. I was on the edge of my seat awaiting the answers, but they never came. This is my only criticism of the movie: the ending is . . . cryptic. Is it success or denial? I don’t know if the conclusion does the rest of the film justice. This being said, I can’t think of how else the movie could be ended. Perhaps life is one giant conundrum, there is no right answer. Like the film I have yet to find my conclusion.
I will finish this on a light note! This film is glamorous from start to finish. Beautiful romanticized scenes of Paris, . . . sigh, I love it. The fashion of this film is glorious, and that is simply because early 60’s fashion was glorious. My goodness, why can’t men dress like that today. MMMmm! That’s all I am going to say about that.

Overall, I love that this film was able to explore, with humor and sensitivity, the dark secrets of such a seductive era.

Oh, I almost forgot! . . . I do have one question. How did C.S. Lewis find his way into this film?

This film received 92% on RT.

What do you think?

0 comments: